Tuesday, May 29, 2012

....CAB.....La Frenz, Hillside Estate Winery

Fourth of many sips.....

Naramata Bench - I have to say, if a colleague of mine had not mentioned to visit - I probably would have missed it. North of Penticton, on what what appeared on the map at least, to be a 'road less traveled' (not my first, nor my last out-in-left-field concept), it was the busiest single-lane we'd been on. There is a literal crush of wineries on this Bench.

We thought that we would head to the end and sip our way back - but first, we thought that we'd better stop and sample a little to make sure we were on the right path. As luck would have it, we chanced upon La Frenz -  my appreciation for Semillon forever altered. Wikipedia says that Semillon is a golden-skinned white grape. What they don't say is that La Frenz makes the most beautiful dry white Semillon - ever!. My first taste was magic - another case in the back of the truck. On subsequent trips back to the area, I've arrived at the winery too late in the season and the Semillon cupboard is bare. This sends me scurrying around Kelowna and Penticton wine shops, trying to find the last few unspoken for bottles. (This year, I think I'll try ordering online provided that archaic prohibition legislation dissolves.)  Another explosion of perfectly balanced flavour was captured in the Tawny Port - and I really don't like sweet vintages - well done, La Frenz. Much to my delight, more Alberta wine shops are stocking La Frenz - but if you see it, snap it up as it may not be there tomorrow...I must not be their only fan.This place also boasts a million dollar view - well, $100 anyway as it was featured on the old brown bills.

After such success, we altered our plans and decided to stop at wineries on the right hand side of the road. That seemed only logical - we didn't want to miss out. That turned out to be me most brilliant idea ever as I was fortunate to discover the ultimate Cab Franc.

There was a wonderful rustic wooden building in the distance with whimsical garden area - Hillside Estate Winery We entered the tasting area - it was so comfortable and inviting - and staff were terrific and welcoming...and pretty darn funny! We were guided through a few of the whites and then onto the reds...everything was lovely, but I have to admit that I remember nothing save for the peppery perfection of the 2008 Cab Franc that effortlessly spilled over the back of my tongue. It was unbelievable - here it was, the wine I had been searching for for so long. You see, I love crafting sausages, quality artisan sausages - and I love blending in wine or beer...my mantra is that 'I eat for pleasure and not for fuel'. Knowing that the final product is only as good as quality of the ingredients, I had been searching for a peppery red that would not get lost is the richness of source-verified Alberta pork. It needed to be smooth, strong and distinctive, yet not too over-bearing or complex.

When I started my meat career, I apprenticed under a German Master Butcher for a couple of years and although apprentice is code for '24 months of cleaning grease traps' I learned so much about the spice complex - mostly for marinades. The next firm I worked for, the Master Butcher there made his own sausage from scratch and I knew I'd found my calling. We made all types of sausage including Italian, however - much to my chagrin, we added cooking wine. The stuff is awful, salty and would often overpower the mix, but like the good junior cutter I was - I kept my mouth shut. Never mess with a Butcher's recipes when they have been handed down from kin.

When I finally had free reins in my shop, I started tinkering with the recipes that I had accumulated over the years and I now believe that every great sausage can be made that much better with really good wine or beer. I always use quality ingredients - that way I get a quality product. 'Eating for pleasure and not for fuel.'

I was so excited to return to Alberta with my 'Magic Case' - Hillside's Cab Franc. My first batch of Tuscan Italian was bang on - the added bonus is always the sampling of the ingredients. I love sausage making day!

Meatgoddess recommendations:

La Frenz - Semillon, Tawny Port

Hillside Estate - Cab Franc

Musical Pairings:

La Frenz - Semillon : Ruthie Foster  Phenomenal Woman
La Frenz - Tawny Port:  Keb'Mo  Gimme What You Got
Hillside Estate - Cab Franc:  Buddy Guy & Junior Wells   T-Bone Shuffle


No comments:

Post a Comment