Friday, May 25, 2012

...CAB...Quails' Gate


 Sip 2 of many delightful sips....

After leaving the wonderful estate vineyard that is Tantalus, we wandered up the hill a discovered a lavender farm. As it was late in the season, the blooms were mostly done, but we did pick up some loose buds for cooking, stems for chicken or fish skewers, and some delightfully scented honey. (Upon returning home, I made lavender fudge and lavender shortbread. – my palette again expanded.)

Crossing the Okanagan Lake and heading through West Kelowna, we were mesmerized by the beauty that is Quails’ Gate. Perched right on the lake, there is a grassy area where you can walk through some of the vines – on the sunny warm autumn day - the lake, the colours, the smells – it was one of life’s perfect moments.  Unobtrusively nestled into the hillside, Quails’ Gate has an office area and tasting hall is separated by a landscaped area leading to a delightful restaurant, Old Vines. When in Rome…one must dine – and we did. We enjoyed a delightful meal with a stunning view.

Not ever being in a tasting hall, we were a little intimidated at first, but the friendly folk at QG nurtured us through it. I tasted an unreal Old Vines Foch Reserve. I describe wine differently than the experts – they use terms like tobacco, berry, smoke, earth…blah, blah, blah…that usually sets me up for disappointment, because if I cannot pick up the hint of – say spice…I miss the rest of the taste. I‘m pretty simple – I like my reds smooth and even smoky and sometimes peppery and my whites clear, fresh and not too perfume-like. I am not a fan of sweet. In short – I know when it works for me. I think I experience tasting different – this vintage ‘filled my mouth’. It was very smooth and I believe I still have a bottle resting in the cellar. 

The Irish blood in my veins loves a good story, so when the QG tasting goddess started spinning one about the Chenin Blanc I was fully caught in her intricate web. Turns out, this delightful clear-not-too-sweet nectar was served to President Obama one his Canadian visits. The actual menu is on display as you enter the tasting hall – How cool is that! Stories make the experience and as an added bonus, really I enjoy this wine.

Because Quails’ Gate is a larger outfit, vintages are readily available in Alberta. 

Our next stop - Naramata Bench....

Meatgoddess recommendations: Quails' Gate Chenin Blanc and Old Vines Foch Reserve

Musical Pairings:
Quails' Gate - Chenin Blanc: Toshi Reagon  How Long
Quails' Gate - Old Vines Foch Reserve: B.B. King & Joe Cocker   Dangerous Mood

4 comments:

  1. One of my favourite places to taste wine and have lunch or dinner! Great post! Are you from the Okanagan or visiting?

    The Wanderfull Traveler

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I wish I was from the Okanagan! I live north of Edmonton and find myself on an annual pilgrimage of 'rum-running' in the fall. I bring back wine from some of the wineries like Blue Mountain, Perseus and Quinta Ferreira...because I can't get them in Alberta.

      Do you have any recommendations for my journey this year?

      Delete
  2. I do love Perseus but I'd recommend, if you haven't been, Mission Hill Winery, staying at the Naramata Inn Heritage Spa or at least having lunch there. Therapy Winery is also one of my favourites and I love their Pink Freud Rose during summer and have some great reds.
    I am not a big fan of Red Rooster Winery wines but they have a great building and a gallery.
    Black Widow is good as well and features delicious white wines.

    Cedar Creek is located in Kelowna and has some delicious wines and one of my favourite lunches but so does Sumac Ridge on the way out towards Penticton from Kelowna.
    So many!

    Let me know if you have any other questions! I write my own blog as well and will be doing a tour this Summer, maybe next weekend for a UBCO graduation treat.

    The Wanderfull Traveler

    ReplyDelete
  3. I visited Mission Hill last fall - definitely, high on the 'Wow' factor - we wandered the grounds for over an hour. Therapy rocks - love the Malbec and I've never had a white at Black Widow, as they always seem to be sold out. (I need to start coming out earlier in the year I think)

    I have had Cedar Creek, but I've never been - must get there this year - thanks! We stopped at Sumac Ridge last year for lunch and enjoyed a sparkling Gerwurz...so good.

    Thank you so much and for the record - I think you should treat yourself and tour next weekend ;)

    ReplyDelete