Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Why wouldn't I use wonderful #BCWine from the Okanagan?

So I was asked this simple question the other day. The person asking the question felt that 'sausage' was a waste of good wine.  I suppose if I wanted to, I could procure a less-costly off-shore alternative, but my Dad always reinforced that you get out what you put in.

There are a couple of things at play, first, I can sip while I create. Strike One for the cheaper alternative. Second, I know where my inputs come from and the care that was taken to produce them...why wouldn't I want that for something that I'm creating?

There are 2 places that I get my pork from. One is fairly close to me and is family owned and operated. Sturgeon Valley Pork has strict bio-security protocols on-farm. They inject their waste manure into the soil, reducing the chance of run-off and odor. The holding facility at the plant is very humane and they participate in the Canadian Quality Assurance program. This newer facility is built and operates at federal standards and they have traceability protocol. www.sturgeonvalleypork.com

The second plant that I purchase  from is located in Trochu, Alberta. Another family owned operation, Sunterra Meats runs a closed herd. They utilize CO2 stunning in the plant...I have never heard a squeal there and they are one of the more successful meat exporters to Japan. Their quality is exceptional. They too have traceability. www.sunterrameats.ca

Depending on the recipe I am making at the time, I try to source local, from suppliers I know. The mushrooms, mustard, peppers, wine or beer that I use in my sausage.....all have a story...giving my sausage a story. Traceability allows me to tell that story. That is why I use Okanagan wine in some of my sausages.

Now if we could only get the archaic Canadian liquor laws changed so that I could have more of a variety, the world would be a better place....one link at a time! www.freemygrapes.ca/take-action.shtml

No comments:

Post a Comment