Saturday, March 12, 2011

Sustainability....a systems approach

So, with 6 billion people on the planet and an additional growth of 3 billion anticipated by 2050...how do we look at feeding our planet in the next few decades?

With more people in developing countries developing a taste and the means to acquire meat protein, the current global model of meat production will change.There will only be a handful of countries able to export product. This is a huge global responsibility.

At the World Meat Congress in Argentina this past summer, sustainability and systems approach were on the table. Considering the carbon footprint of meat production through deforestation, methane release through enteric fermentation (burping) and nitrous oxide release from manure....future choices require careful consideration. I am not advocating vegetarianism or one protein over another, I am supporting informed choice.

Emission intensity from the South American ruminant industry is among the highest in the world. The lesson here is: cheap always has a price.There was also alarming evidence of deforestation to support the expansion in the ruminant industry. We must be careful here, the answer is not to boycott product from South America. Too many people derive a living from this model. Consider paying more for the product so that additional sustainable actions may be taken. It's really quite easy.

Also, monogastric animals have less of a carbon footprint. I would not be able to give up the quality that is Alberta beef, but I would be able to eat tasty pig more often....bacon is meat candy!

I have personally reduced my portion sizes and have added more of a variety of meat protein to my diet. We still enjoy AAA Alberta beef....but we also eat local Alberta pork and poultry. Sustainable fish is a favourite and I'm even experimenting with Alberta pulses. I alone cannot change the world, but I can change my little corner of the universe.

I plan to enjoy my next meal and I will always eat for pleasure and not solely for fuel. I honour those that work hard in agriculture so that I may enjoy food.

No comments:

Post a Comment